WinLock + ActiveDirectory Users

WinLock, WinLock Professional, and WinLock Remote Administrator
BAXTER

WinLock + ActiveDirectory Users

Post by BAXTER »

Hi, I already oppened a ticket for this.

I downloaded, installed, tried and bought winlock

I export the profile.wlp and put it in the already created profiles folder with the other profiles

At the beggining, new users loggued in the computer keeps the original configuration. Then after some hours , new loggued users stop working.

The new users didn't inherit the configuration.

I tried running aconfig.exe downloaded from your website but it only works with the actual user, never with all of them

The users are in ActiveDirectory lists of users.

The thing is that I want WinLock in my PC but I dont want to configure it for every new user that I create because for start, i am not the only worker creating users... at the end I will have some users without WinLock config and it cant be done

I feel that this is very simple and I am missing something
support
Site Admin

Re: WinLock + ActiveDirectory Users

Post by support »

To apply the security profile to existing user, under Profile menu, click Apply. Or, if you want to apply the same security restrictions to all users, under Protection, clear Personal security settings for each user.
BAXTER

Post by BAXTER »

Thanks you support, I just need pro version.

Is it possible to upgrade my version to a pro one ? I did not used my license yet.

Can I pay the difference to get pro license and erase normal license?

If it's possible, I will pm you my mail and we can chat via email, I need the info about how to do that.

I've got bills and everything
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Yes, you can upgrade to Pro. Please send your full license info to support@crystaloffice.com and we'll provide you with upgrade details.
BAXTER

Post by BAXTER »

1. Download WinLock Pro version (I recommend free trial):
https://www.crystaloffice.com/winlockpro/
2. Install Pro version (It’s a simple installation)
a. Next
b. Next
c. Create shortcut desktop
d. Next
e. Install
f. Open
3. Now we get or make our *.wlp (Win Lock Profile extension) and save it if we make it ourselves
4. Put Baxter.wlp inside the following folder, in that specific route:
a. First we go to our disk C:
b. Go to Users
c. Go to public access (NOT DEFAULT)
d. Go to public documents
e. Go to WinLock folder
f. Paste baxter.wlp
g. Erase all the other profiles (ONLY ERASE DEFAULT PROFILES, don’t erase your personal profiles)
5. Open WinLockPro (first open)
6. Click profile, then in the menu click open
General menu -> Protection -> Users
7. WinLock should automatically open the POINT 4 path, but if not, go to:
C:\Users\Acceso Publico\Documentos Publicos\WinLock and select Baxter.wlp
8. Now the profile is loaded (PLEASE CHECK)
9. Set a STRONG password and confirm it:
General menu -> Protection -> Password
10. Enable protection:
General menu -> Protection -> Status
11. Then we have to make sure that “personal security settings for each user” IS DISABLED:
12. Click OK in the top right button to enable WinLock
Check If the lock is viable, try to open Windows menu, to secondary button something… whatever
13. Open WinLock again and insert password to enter
14. Click Fix button
Accept the informative message
15. Click “Shutdown…” which is the last option in the dropdown protection menu which is in the top of the application
16. Select Shutdown WinLock in the dropdown menu (in the shutdown window)
Then click OK
17. Now open again WinLock and insert the password
18. Enable protection again If necessary and click OK again to put WinLock in second plane
19. Check with any amount of Active Directory users to see if it is working. If you are using trial version, security will be automatically activated after closing the trial version window. That window opens every time an user loggued in the computer until you buy the program
20. IMPORTANT: Buy and activate version

If this Installation doesn’t work and WinLock start to make strange things, check if WinLock was installed before in the computer (previous versions and previous installations). This installations fill the register with waste and this waste could make WinLock works with bugs. I recommend to clean the register with cleaning programs like CCleaner or manually.

We get the protection wanted but It generates a new problem; all the loggued users have My Pc / Computer in the desktop, and the network access.
Anyone knows how to delete these shortcuts from all the desktops ?
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

This can be done by Windows desktop settings Desktop->Right click->Personalize->Change desktop icons. Or, in WnLock: System->Security->Disable My Computer, and System->Desktop->Hide Network.
BAXTER

Post by BAXTER »

I forgot one thing in my last comment: you have to Open WinLockPro as an administrator to make it work at least the FIRST time (don't make it permanent via properties->compatibility). If you modify my comment, It will be a great guide

Now support, I have more cuestions to configure WinLock Pro.

I want to hide My Pc / Equipo (in spannish) and I want to prevent users delete and modify things from C disk.
But by the other hand, users should be able to save things in C:\whatever_route_they_choose

Is it possible ? Or I have to combo WinLockPro with usser permission management in windows ?
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

To disable the ability to rename files:
  • In Windows Explorer, click Folder Options, and select Single-click to open an item.
  • Under Explorer and Windows, select Hide menu and Disable right-click menu.
  • Under Mouse and Keyboard, disable F2 key.
To disable the ability to delete files, under Access->Windows add Delete file and Delete Multiple Items.

However, this will block the ability to rename and delete files on all drives, but not C only.
BAXTER

Post by BAXTER »

Hi again:

I tought I had WinLockPro well configurated in my virtual machine (test machine that I can erase/clon to retry different installations)

Then I went to the final machine

And in that machine a new error appeared, of course, with ActiveDirectory:

The new users that didn't have desktop folder created in C: inherits all the configuration except that they (I don't know why) can see C: in the left explorer bar ! So they open the recicle bin (for example) and get easy access to C: (ultra-easy-c-access). But that new users of course can't open windows menu, can't log off except pushing Alt+F4, can't see the clock, can't click with seccondary button things.... they are locked except for that !
Another thing that happens is that when I open WinLockPro, with that users, appears the FIX red triangle alert button in: General menu -> Protection -> Users
I remembered that I fixed the fix red button error opening WinLockPro as an administrator after installing it for the first time and it worked. But now that error appears again in all this new active directory usera that didn't inherit c removal configuration

All the other users had my Pc / equipo / computer (whatever you want to call it) HIDE in the explorer bar at the left
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

So far, WinLock can't remove the left navigation pane from Windows Explorer. This will be available in the future updates. But, if you check Disable My Computer, Hide Recycle Bin, Hide Libraries (available in the latest beta), and Disable Control Panel options, users will have no access to C drive.
BAXTER

Post by BAXTER »

It can remove it but not for new ActiveDirectory / LocalUsers created after WinLockPro installation and configuration.

That new users inherit all the configuration except hide c: in the explorer bar at the left. I don't know if hitting fix button it will solve but it's the first issue, active directory users are more than 100, and going user by user.... it can't be done

I am going to try the new policy you said to me.

Pm me when you launch new version please, I will check it in your web too. lasinalegre@gmail.com is my mail