Dynamically created users all using same settings

WinLock, WinLock Professional, and WinLock Remote Administrator
whadfield

Dynamically created users all using same settings

Post by whadfield »

Hello all,

We are using the disable function keys for winXP that winlock supplies. The environment that we have has 28 different users that can log into any of the 500 machines at any time. My questions is can I setup winlock so any of the users us the same settings with out having to set it up under each user? I currently take care of the other software settings by using the default user. This worked for winlock however it brings up the login dialog each time a user logs in. Is there any way to prevent this from popping up on startup?

Thanks in advanced
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

The standard edition of WinLock aplies the same setting for each user account automatically. However, to use some of WinLock settings under the restricted account you should configure the access permissions as described in Bacics\Configuring user accounts topic.
whadfield

Post by whadfield »

Sorry, I didn't explain my problem very well. All the settings that I applied are working great. It is after windows has logged in it will bring up the login dialog to configure winlock. I was hoping to prevent this winlock login dialog from coming up. The users can just hit cancel and it works but we have some kids that use the computers and I don't want them to know that it is running. And also for the little kids it is just one more thing that they could get confused on.

We are using WinXP, Winlock 4.64,Novell client, Each user account is created by novell when they login. The accounts are destroyed on reboot.
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Usually you should not see the password prompt on startup.
Please open WinLock and turn off General\Settings\Prompt for the password on startup option.
whadfield

Post by whadfield »

The Option "Prompt for password on startup" is not selected. The only settings I have in the general tab is: "
"Turn on protection on startup"
"Hide tray icon"
"unload protection"

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

There are several reasons of this problem.
1. You are attempt to load WinLock twice. When you are trying to start another instance of WinLock, this brings the password prompt dialog. Make sure that WinLock is not loaded twice (there should not be WinLock shortcut in the Startup folder and you shouldn't execute WinLock through any batch scripts).
2. For some reason WinLock responds to the hotkey that opens configuration window. Try to disable the hotkeys at all.
3. Try to disable unload protection.
whadfield

Post by whadfield »

Thanks again for you time.

disabled hot key but did not make a difference.

turned of unload protection. However I need to have this ability I can not have the kids being able to unload the program any other options?

Is there any way to run winlock as a service? I think the regkey is running each time on login...(if I am wrong please let me know). The machines are not rebooted between logins.

Thanks again
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Does the unload protection option solve the problem?
whadfield

Post by whadfield »

Sorry, yes it did. But we where looking at it We need to be able to make it so they can not unload winlock. So I guess I could just turn off the buttons to go into the task manager so they couldn't unload it...

Thanks again for you time
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Ok. Now I see the problem. We will fix this asap.
whadfield

Post by whadfield »

That worked...

You guys are great!