Can WinLock attend to this specific requirement below?

WinLock, WinLock Professional, and WinLock Remote Administrator
salimwng

Can WinLock attend to this specific requirement below?

Post by salimwng »

Hello,

Before posting this message, i had a look at your forum and could not find the answer to my query, so....no choice to put this down here. I guess this might be useful to some other users:

I just downloaded the evaluation program of WinLock. It is indeed a nice little software with lots of features. However, i am looking for a specific requirement.

1. I do not want to block a user from using the CTRL+ALT+TAB feature in Windows XP, but i want to restrict him from killing a specific process. Can this be done please ?

2. Also, i would like him NOT to access a specific folder (Not even viewing mode). Is this feature present in WinLock ?

3. Can the user boots the PC with a Boot diskette and then try to access the C:\Program Files and then Delete the whole folder of Winlock ? If yes, how can we prevent this ?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but there's a guy in my office who goes through all kinds of way to bypass security measures and if i am able to get a strong solution for above from you guys, you can consider me as your future registered customer.

Thank you
Kind regards.
Salim
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

1. I do not want to block a user from using the CTRL+ALT+TAB feature in Windows XP, but i want to restrict him from killing a specific process. Can this be done please ?
You can use Disable Task Manager option to prevent the ability to kill a processes.
2. Also, i would like him NOT to access a specific folder (Not even viewing mode). Is this feature present in WinLock ?
Yes, you can find it under Access\Folders section.
3. Can the user boots the PC with a Boot diskette and then try to access the C:\Program Files and then Delete the whole folder of Winlock ? If yes, how can we prevent this ?
You can disable the ability to boot from external devices, such as CD-ROM or floppy disk in BIOS and turn on the BIOS password protection.
salimwng

Post by salimwng »

Thank you for replying. Please kindly see my comments next to each quote:
support wrote:
You can use Disable Task Manager option to prevent the ability to kill a processes.

I do not want to Disable completely Task manager. I just want the user for not ending a specific process from the Task Manager.
Yes, you can find it under Access\Folders section.

Superb. Noted with thanks.
You can disable the ability to boot from external devices, such as CD-ROM or floppy disk in BIOS and turn on the BIOS password protection.
Okay. This is an Option. However, the user need to access legacy DOS Applications by using a Boot Floppy Disk. So i cannot disable the Floppy from BIOS.

Will wait for your answer.

Thanks
Salim
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

I do not want to Disable completely Task manager. I just want the user for not ending a specific process from the Task Manager.
Open WinLock main window and select Access/Windows section. Then, add Task Manager Warning string into the blocked windows list. This will retain the ability to open Task manager, but disable End Process command.
Okay. This is an Option. However, the user need to access legacy DOS Applications by using a Boot Floppy Disk. So i cannot disable the Floppy from BIOS.
If you are using NTFS file system, there is no way to access folders on a hard drive in DOS mode. Otherwise, there is no way to protect WinLock files.