Questions and a suggestion regarding encryption

Maple and Maple Reader
JustDave

Questions and a suggestion regarding encryption

Post by JustDave »

I've been evaluating Maple Pro for the past week or so and have been very impressed. The only complaint I have is with the encryption module. Since my job involves working with sensitive customer information, secure, easy encryption is one of my requirements. The implementation in Maple is a little clunky, and maybe not secure.

The encryption wizard seems to be, basically, a separate app tied to the tools menu. In other words, the document to be encrypted has to already exist in un-encrypted form; that's not a good start. It would be better if Maple could save/load and encrypt/decrypt on the fly.

The encryption wizard displays gives the option of "Do you want to delete the original file after encryption?" If I select "Yes", is the file deleted securely? Or could anyone with an undelete program recover it?

I'd love to see Maple handle the encryption/decryption transparently. In other words, I want to create a brand new file from scratch, and then have the option to File->Save->Save Encrypted. Then, whenever I re-open the file have Maple prompt me for the password. If Maple encrypted in-line this way, without leaving unencrypted source files or recoverable file fragments behind, I'd probably buy it today. Any plans in the works for such functionality?
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Use Preferences\General\Database\Encrypt protected trees option. This will ecrypt the tree with Blowfish 128 algorithm.
JustDave

Post by JustDave »

Ah. Then I just choose File->Protect and select a password. And to unprotect I choose File->Protect and clear the Encrypt Data checkbox. Excellent. Thank you.
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Exactly.
JustDave

Post by JustDave »

Well. That does it then...transferred and edited couple of encrypted files and things seem to be going swimmingly. Paid my money and just received my reg code. Thanks for the help.