Import from InfoTree

Maple and Maple Reader
DMurray

Import from InfoTree

Post by DMurray »

Does anyone know if it is possible to import an InfoTree (http://www.nextword.com) database into Maple? InfoTree stores the entire tree in an Access database.

Thanks.
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Seems there is no way to covert InfoTree database into Maple format directly. But, you can save all documents from InfoTree database into a separate folder and use File\Import\Folder Content command to import them into Maple.
DMurray

Import from InfoTree into Maple

Post by DMurray »

support wrote:Seems there is no way to covert InfoTree database into Maple format directly. But, you can save all documents from InfoTree database into a separate folder and use File\Import\Folder Content command to import them into Maple.
I can save each individual InfoTree document to a plain text file, but there are two problems with this:

1. Many of the documents contain rich text formatting features such as bullets, underlining, embedded images, etc. Obviously all of this would be lost upon conversion to plain text.

2. I have several hundred documents and it would take forever to export them individually. I don't see a way to do a bulk export of the tree documents, other than to export EVERYTHING to a single text file, import the text file and then manually copy/paste the text into new Maple nodes.

I might be stuck with InfoTree. It's not a bad program, but Maple looks more polished.
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

At this time Maple can import only Treepad files, but not InfoTree. You can save each InfoTree document as a .rtf or .doc file. This will preserve the formatting. Actually, I don't know whether Infotree supports batch conversion, but if it does you can use it. This is the only way to convert Infotree database into Maple.
amicalmant

Re: Import from InfoTree into Maple

Post by amicalmant »

DMurray wrote:I might be stuck with InfoTree. It's not a bad program, but Maple looks more polished.
You're right, it is. InfoTree works fine for me too and I don't bother converting my old files. I use Maple for new stuff and InfoTree for my old data that I still use very often.

The interesting point is that all this would not happen if outline software designers were using a standard document format (both InfoTree and Maple are outline document editors). Conversion from one application to another would be so easy.

There was no such format available a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I think that such a format exists now. It is based on XML and called Outline Processor Markup Language (OPML). I can't wait that Maple supports this format -- either as its native format or as an export utility format.

Of course, this would give more freedom to customers that could easily switch applications. The marketing men might not like that. The best software companies, however, won't fear competition. They will be the early adopters of OPML -- and I hope that Crystal Office will be one of them. :roll:

Ami Calmant,
--
C.A.
JBSmith

Re: Import from InfoTree

Post by JBSmith »

support wrote:At this time Maple can import only Treepad files
How is this accomplished?

Thanks,
-jb

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed May 19, 2010 6:40 pm.